One Avène product sold every 5 seconds in China
April 25, 2013
In 2013 the Avène brand, whose products are all manufactured in France, is celebrating the 10th anniversary of its launch in China. In a single decade, the range of skincare products based on Avène thermal water, from the spring in Avène-les-Bains in the Haut-Languedoc nature reserve, has gained the trust of Chinese dermatologists and consumers.
For this occasion, Francis Canet, general manager of Pierre Fabre Dermo-Cosmétique in China since 2003, recalled the keys to Avène’s success in China :
- Avène became accepted by Chinese dermatologists on becoming the official partner of the Chinese Dermatology Association, which recognises its dermatological and dermocosmetic qualities.
- Their professional advice is reflected at sales outlets, with advisors trained to assist consumers in their search for products for sensitive skin.
- Specific products were developed for Asian skin, such as ‘sensitive white’, launched in 2012.
- In 2010, the Avène brand introduced D.E.F.I, a patented packaging system which guarantees the product’s sterility without any kind of preservative, thereby increasing consumer safety.
- The appeal for products ‘made in France’ was a factor that encouraged this success, since it is synonymous with reliability in product development, and with security and quality in manufacturing.
What is more, by introducing a ‘Guarantee of Origin’ certification, which enables the origin of each product to be checked by telephone or on the Internet, Avène has provided a response to Chinese consumers who are concerned about traceability and avoid buying counterfeit products.
In 10 years, the Avène brand has succeeded in increasing its geographic coverage twentyfold. It is now established in 200 Chinese cities and distributed in more than 1,000 sales outlets. One Avène product is sold every 5 seconds in China, via one of the 1,500 advisors employed by the French brand.
Pierre Fabre Dermo- Cosmétique is delighted that China is now one of its three leading international markets. China is the market with the strongest growth over the past 10 years and this year is no exception (around 30% growth in 2012). The company’s ambition is to double its turnover here in the next 5 years.